A friend recently told me (before Christmas!) that I need to update my blog, so this is for you Nancy!
When I was in chemo 5 years ago, Sally, Sarah's mother-in-law, made me a beautiful chemo blanket. During chemo, you sit in chair (sometimes for hours....luckily I had a lazy boy to relax in!) and receive the chemotherapy intravenously (IV). Sometimes it's cold and boring, so Sally made me a blanket that I could use to keep warm and comfortable....and remind me of all my family and friends who loved me and were praying for me. Here's a picture of me during chemo and very bald! (Sorry for the quality...it's scanned in from a scrapbook)
There is my beautiful blanket from Sally, along with Yahtzee game from Aunt Edna. And if you look close, you can see my IV sending poison (aka medicine) into my body.Here's a close-up of my amazing blanket! Sally got pictures of my life...with family, friends, on my mission, graduation, weddings.....and made them into a quilt so I could feel like everyone was with me during chemo.
I loved the pictures she and Sarah found....the first picture framed in yellow fabric is my mom (who was with me in Spirit), then Meg and I during college, a date night that Annette K. hosted, and the sideways one is my freshman football buddies from BYU. Below are of my wonderful sisters, my dad, my BYU graduation, and the bottom right picture is a few days after my first chemo with Sarah and Daniel when I finally came out of my room after throwing up for days....

I love my chemo blanket and still use it often! Thanks Sally!



6 comments:
Yay blog update!
Such a great blanket. That's a serious treasure. My grandparents have a quilt that their ward made for them with their story of joining the church and all kinds of other memories. I loved hearing my grandma tell me the stories behind each piece.
How do you look so cute and happy with that poison/medicine going into your body? Amazing.
I love this post. What a crazy tough time. Amazing the support you received through all of it. Seriously!! I can't wait to see the new quilt!
Loved reading this, Amber. So, your next post will have pictures of the quilt you are making, right?
XOXOXOX
That was really neat to read. Im glad you updated your blog too!
I don't know if I ever saw this blanket. I love it! Sally is such a wonderful person. It's so good to know you made it through all that. You inspire me as I face my own little bumps in the road of life :)
So fun to see your chemo blanket, but so sad to see your pictures of you during that time ;-( BUT you are a survivor and that is all that matters! Glad you've been blogging again!
Post a Comment